Have you ever wondered what sets certain artworks apart, making them more enchanting and appealing than others? The secret lies in the art of framing – more specifically frames for artwork! A frame does much more than just protect your artwork; it has the power to enhance and elevate the overall impact of your creative masterpiece.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the world of art frames, from selecting the perfect frame to mounting and hanging your artwork. 🎨 🖌️ 🖼️
You May Have Asked…
- How do I know what thickness of artwork I can put in a frame?
- How do I know what size frame to buy?
- Will the frames I buy from Frame It Easy be ready to hang?
- How do I choose the best frame for my artwork?
- How thick should a frame be for art?
Frames That Add Value
Choosing the right picture frames for your artwork is an art form in itself. Here are some key considerations that will help enhance your art:
- 🥽 Preservation and Protection – A quality frame protects against dust, moisture, and physical damage. It will extend the lifespan of your artwork!
- ✨ Improved Aesthetic – Your frame should complement and enhance your artwork. A great frame can even draw the eye to the work itself.
- 🖼️ Added Context – A frame can also provide context to the artwork. A traditional, ornate frame may be suitable for a classical painting, while a sleek, minimalist frame may be perfect for a contemporary piece.
- 💰 Additional Value – A well-chosen frame can add value to your artwork, making it more appealing to potential buyers and art collectors.
Frames for Artwork: Choosing The Right Frame
When selecting picture frames for your artwork, consider the importance of both aesthetic appeal and preservation.
Selecting the perfect frame involves considering factors such as color, style, material, and size. We’ve got the official breakdown on each of these crucial elements…
Color & Style
- 🎨 Complementary – Look for frame colors that complement the dominant colors in your artwork. Not your style? Another option is to choose a neutral or simple frame color that won’t overpower the artwork.
- Style – Consider the style of your artwork. Traditional paintings often pair well with ornate frames, while modern and abstract pieces may benefit from simpler, sleeker frames. The goal is to enhance the artwork’s style without overwhelming it.
- 📜 Matting – Matting can be a major game-changer! For complex images, we recommend a single mat, and for more simple images a double matting. The right matting can help define an artwork’s space and draw more attention to the piece’s details.
Whether you’re looking for standard-sized frames for artwork, or perhaps some unusual dimensions, we’ve got the best wood and metal frames to fit your work and your budget! The choice of frame material, whether it’s classic wood or sleek metal, plays a meaningful role in your artwork’s presentation.
- 🪵 Wood – Wooden frames are a classic choice, available in 3 styles and a bunch of finishes! From Wheat to Hazel, wood frames work well with a wide range of art styles and give off a timeless feel when paired well.
- ⚙️ Metal – Our Metal frames, made from recycled aluminum, offer a sleek and modern look. They are lightweight and durable, making them ideal for larger pieces of artwork. Available in 5 different styles in both thin and wide faces. The best part is – these metal frames for artwork are able to house a variety of art styles!
- 🔎 Acrylic – We often get asked if acrylic or glass is best for a picture frame’s cover. Acrylic is often much more transparent than glass, it’s lightweight, and it has UV-resistant properties! We have two options clear acrylic and non-glare acrylic.
Unsure about what glazing or cover to select? Consider the following…
🌈 If you’re framing colorful, bright artwork, we recommend the clear option as it won’t soften colors.
🐼 If you’re framing black and white artwork, we recommend the non-glare option, it will diffuse sunlight and soften your image.
🖼️ Don’t forget about matting! Using matboards can provide a professional finish and additionally help protect your artwork from damage.
Mounting & Hanging
- 📏 Hanging Height – The ideal height for hanging artwork is at eye level, which is typically around 57 to 60 inches from the floor to the center of the artwork. 57 to 60 is the standard…most of the time, we go over this in more detail in “How High Should I Hang My Frames?“
- 🏡 Location – Finding the perfect location for your art to call home is key! Consider all options including accent walls and odd spaces that need a pop of personality!
- 🪛 Hanging Hardware – If you’re using our hanging hardware kit you won’t have to worry! Be sure your hanging wire is securely wrapped and the screws are tight in place.
Frames For Artwork: Final Thoughts
Choosing the right frame for your artwork is a creative process that involves attention to detail, an understanding of aesthetics, and a deep appreciation for your art (don’t be your own worst critic!🙃) The right frame can enhance your artwork’s visual impact, protect it from harm, and add big value!
Take your time, explore your options, and make an informed choice to truly enhance your art. Remember, a well-framed piece of art is not just an accessory but a work of art in itself. 🖼️ 🖌️
Show off your framed artwork, photos, & other items! – Inspire others by sharing your photos, tell us your story! If we share it, you’ll receive a coupon for 15% off your next order!
Be sure to follow us on our socials for more daily inspiration – check out our Shopify app to start selling your own framed prints!
This post first appeared as Frames For Artwork: A Guide To Enhance Your Art on Frame It Easy - Learning Center for Custom Picture Framing.